Monday, August 31, 2009

What's In A Name?


How much does your name really define you? If you could change your name, would you? I was recently faced with this question when I was asked if I wanted to take a stage name at my new job. And before you even ask, No, I am not a stripper.....It's a media thing. A little known fact to many is that famous celebrities....who's names are on marquees and blazed on the cover of magazines were not born with their stage names..... Marilyn Monroe (Norma Jean Baker), Natalie Portman (Natalie Hershlag) and my personal favorite Portia De Rossi (Amanda Lee Rogers) are some great examples. Norma Jean Baker sounds like a dumpy farmer.....not at all like the iconic Marilyn Monroe.....great career move on ol NJB's part.

So anyways I had this interesting situation placed before me. I could totally and absolutely re-create my moniker to totally define the essence of me. A glass of Pinot and a few doodles later, and nothing was speaking to me....aaaand I started to get indignant. I LOVE my name. I never want to change it. Everyone calls me by my last name and I couldnt imagine portraying myself in any other way. So I remain the same. For better or worse, I am now permanetly stuck with my birth name .....and could not be happier.

*The front runner for first names were Vala (pronounced vah-la) or Lia.......bizarre, possibly blacked out when considering those.
**This is also a great conversation piece. Its fascinating to see what some of your friends would name themselves if given the chance......
***If you get bored, google baby names. This WILL take up at least 2 hours of your time, so plan accordingly.

*pic from wikipedia.com

No comments:

Post a Comment