Friday, December 4, 2009

Mixed Reviews.


I am Italian. My family is from New Jersey. Naturally I heard all the hype about MTV's newest 'reality' show Jersey Shore and I had to check it out. Before the show aired, there was tons of controversy surrounding the show. The Italian American community, more specifically the group UNICO, thought the show perpetuated negative stereotypes and glorified the word "Guido" which is considered by many to be a negative term. Politics aside, I go to Jersey at least once or twice a year and those stereotypes exist for a reason.....Jersey is pretty much everything you expect it to be, but with better food. So of course I watched the show.....it walks a very thin line between hilarious and douchey, so obviously I loved it. Jersey Shore has some very important ingredients that help it to be trashy reality TV at it's finest....these include copious amounts of hair gel, people so tan they look dirty, tons and tons of booze, blaring techno, raging hormones, and fist pumping to the max. This will totally give me and my friends something to laugh about during the break from Real Housewives (OC doesn't count, they are the WORST). Case in point: the pilot had perhaps one of the dumbest girls I have ever seen say one of the dumbest things I have ever heard...."I'm a bartender, I do like GREAT things"...says the girl who showed up with her stuff in garbage bags. Check out this train wreck for yourselves and try not to laugh at Snookie who they all call Snickers. Jersey Shore airs at 9pm Central time on MTV.

*If you and the show are like totally vibing, you might want to check out this Jersey Glossary to understand what the hell any of them are saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment